Re: Revised statement of policy on CIF and STAR Files

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Revised statement of policy on CIF and STAR Files
  • From: "Brian H. Toby" <brian.toby@nist.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:01:53 +0100 (BST)
> AUTHOR'S RIGHTS TO THE DATA
>
> Copyright in the information stored in a STAR File or a CIF remains with the
> originator of that information ("the author") or such other body to which
> such rights have been voluntarily transferred by the author. These files are
> intended for information transfer, and may be copied, transferred or
> incorporated in larger data collections so long as the rights of the author
> (or copyright assignee) are preserved and respected.

I think it might be simpler and better to say:

Copyright in the information stored in a STAR File or a CIF remains with
the
originator of that information ("the author") or such other body to
which
such rights have been voluntarily transferred by the author. The IUCr
claims no
rights to this information as a consequence of the storage of this
information in the CIF format. CIF is intended for information transfer.
The IUCr grants the author and the author's designates the permission to
copy or transfer CIFs, or incorporate them in to larger data collections
without restrictions and without payment of royalties for use of the
format.

Brian H. Toby, Ph.D.                    Leader, Crystallography Team
Brian.Toby@NIST.gov      NIST Center for Neutron Research, Stop 8562
voice: 301-975-4297     National Institute of Standards & Technology
FAX: 301-921-9847                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8562
                http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/xtal