Re: Draft Annual report of COMCIFS for 2004

I would suggest a reworking of the paragraph:

"One of COMCIFS goals is to discourage the formation of CIF dialects.
It is therefore something of an embarrassment that CIF uses two
different and incompatible Dictionary Definition Languages (DDL),
DDL1 being used for the small-cell coreCIF dictionary and DDL2 being
used for the large-cell mmCIF dictionary.  Software developed for
manipulating mmCIFs cannot read those written with the coreCIF
dictionary and vice versa.  Since the interface between the small-
and large-cell structures is becoming an increasingly important area
of study, COMCIFS needs to explore how these two standards can be
made to converge."

to read

"One of COMCIFS goals is to discourage the formation of CIF dialects.
Technical necessities have forced the development of two somewhat
divergent Dictionary Definition Languages (DDL),  DDL1 being used for
the small-cell coreCIF dictionary and DDL2 being used for the
large-cell mmCIF dictionary.  Some software developed for
manipulating mmCIFs cannot read those written with the coreCIF
dictionary and vice versa.  It is, however, feasible to create
software that works with both DDL1 and DDL2 (vis. CIFtbx and
the CBFlib-derived parser in RasMol).  Since the interface
between the small- and large-cell structures is becoming an
increasingly important area of study, COMCIFS needs to explore how
these two standards can be made to converge.  Work is under way by
Bernstein at Dowling College under contract to the IUCr to upgrade
the some of the software used by the IUCr in its publication
process to be compatible with the CIF 1.1 specification and with
both DDL1 and DDL2.  This software will be discussed at the Florence IUCr
Congress and will be made available as open-source software to encourage
other software developers to make their software able to deal with both
DDL1 and DDL2."