Re: CIF formal specification

The "in general" on the row ordering means "in general".  A careful
reading of the semantics of most CIF loops shows that they follow
SQL-like rules on row ordering -- the rows can be presented
in any order without changing the meaning of the table.  However,
that is not an explicit rule of CIF syntax (as opposed to the
semantics constraining the way it is used).   When possible,
I think it would be desirable to provide columns which allow
any and all order dependencies to be resolved from the content
of the rows, rather than from context (e.g. atom serial numbers
in atom lists), but I, for one, would be opposed to making
that a syntactic requirement, especially in view of the man
existing CIFs that do not comply.

The table merge/split rules are a difference in semantics between
DDL1 and DDL2.   Again, in most cases, SQL-like rules are followed,
so this is an infrequent problem.  I think the current proposed
wording is a fair representation of facts on the ground.

I understand the desire to have a parser that will be aware of
all the equivalences and symmetry violations, but as will any
powerful and evolving language (including XML for that matter),
some things need to be left to the applications.

Regards,
  Herbert