Re: Reactivating mmCIF DMG (was discussion of dictionary update procedure)

Dear John,

   The wwPDB web site lists PDB file, mmCIF File, and PDBML/XML File as the
three formats it offers.  It refers to the dictionary it uses as the
"mmcif_pdbx.dic" dictionary, not as the "PDB Exchange Dictionary".  The
content of the files themselves are not simply mmCIF files with some
additional information from the local PDB pdbx dictionary, but differ
significantly from what would be required to present the structures as
mmCIF files (e.g. in presenting secondary structure).  It is a disservice
to the community to have this pointless confusion.

   It is many years past time to return to the approach to the handling of
the mmCIF dictionary that the PDB originally endorsed, but did not
implement, and to create a new community-based mmCIF DMG and to clearly
define the crystallographic macromolecular CIF dictionary.

   When the "local" tags needed to represent a crystallographic structure
become as numerous as they now have become, something is very, very wrong.

   Our science has changed.  Any valid mmCIF dictionary must, of necessity,
be coordinated with terms from NMR and microscopy, and with terms used in
experimantal data collection, just as it must be coordinated with terms
from the small molecule community and must use symmetry-related terms.
DDLm offers us the opportunity to bring the mecessary multiple
dictionaries together into a common framework, but that effort will be
impaired if we do not clean-up, modularize and coordinate the management
of the terms used in each domain, and ensure that those speaking for each
domain have gone to the effort to interact with their communities and
ensure appropriate discussion and support for what is being recommended.

   What I am urging is precisely what ANSI and ISO require of any
standardization effort.  It is also what we all agreed to when the mmCIF
effort started.

   Any valid mmCIF DMG needs representation not just from wwPDB, but from
the dictionaries with which mmCIF interacts -- the core, symmetry, imgCIF,
NMR, microscopy, etc., and from the communities with which it interacts
and it needs to carefully consider each of the tags that the PDB and
others have proposed as being needed to represent a crytallographic
macromolecular structure.

   Regards,
     Herbert