Re: Please advise regarding a design of CIF dictionaries for materialproperties

Dear John,
many thanks for your clarifications. I will take them into accountdesigning the dictionary.
Bollinger, John C wrote:
>> c) seems the cleanest solution form, but this depends on my >> interpretations of the CIF grammar, semantics and of the ITC vol G.> > And that's precisely why (c) is a sub-optimal choice.  You should not> be approaching the issue from the perspective of whether your> proposed form squeezes within the letter of the specs, or whether you> can bend specifications and convention to fit your dictionary.  If> you want your dictionary to be friendly to third-party software and> easy eventually to convert to DDLm then you should cleave as closely> as possible to center of the specifications, as clarified by common> and conventional practice.
Please assured that it was definitely not my intention to "bend" anyspecifications. I just want to find out how they are interpreted. And Ihave an idea that it would probably be beneficial for CIF users andprogrammers if CIF semantical features (such as datablockname<->declared data name match in dictionaries) were designated as"required", "recommended" or "optional", a-la RFC 2119; IMHO this wouldmake it easier to build interoperable software. And I guess COMCIFS isthe very best place to work out such designations :).
Sincerely yours,Saulius
-- Dr. Saulius Gra┼żulisInstitute of Biotechnology, Graiciuno 8LT-02241 Vilnius, Lietuva (Lithuania)fax: (+370-5)-2602116 / phone (office): (+370-5)-2602556mobile: (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366_______________________________________________comcifs mailing listcomcifs@iucr.orghttp://scripts.iucr.org/mailman/listinfo/comcifs