Re: Draft namespace recommendations

Can I get clarification on the interpretation of the namespace for the
case in your example -

_IUCR::atom_site.occupancy

Do you interpret that the above item name is a reference to a logically distinct
data category named 'atom_site' which exists in the IUCR namespace?  This case
would have formally been represented as something like _iucr_atom_site.occupancy.
Or, do you interpret this as adding the data item _atom_site.occupancy from
the IUCR namespace to the standard data category, atom_site?

John

On 7/17/13 6:44 AM, yayahjb wrote:
> The discipline proposal does not provide a convenient way to mix datanames from multiple
> disciplines in the same datablock.  XML DOM does it with a colon separator.   C++ does it
> with a "::" separator.  I suggest we adopt the C++ convention, treating a discipline
> similarly to a C++ namespace.  I would suggest adding the following:
>
>   " To facilitate use of datanames from multiple disciplines in a single CIF the discipline
> from which a dataname is drawn may be specified by using C++ namespace-style
> conventions, i.e. by optionally prefixing the dataname with the discipline followed immediately
> by a double colon, as in
>
>    _IUCR::atom_site.occupancy
> as equivalent to
>    _atom_site.occupancy
> when the discipline is know to be IUCR
>
> Note that leading underscore appears before the prefixed discipline and and the
> double colon, and that no spaces are permitted in the construct."
>
> Neither the discipline proposal nor the statement of the existing prefix system
> talks about the interaction with dotted notation as it is used in DDL2. In DDL2,
> the prefix may be used on either dotted component:  the category or the
> column.  I suggest adding the following statements in the prefix section.
>
> "When an IUCr CIF dictionary uses formal dotted notation separating a dataname
> into category and column components (as in DDL2) the prefix may appear
> on either component."
>
> Finally we should explicitly allow the combination of dicsciplines and prefixes
> as in
>
> _IUCR:: audit_author.PDBX_ordinal
>

> On 7/16/13 9:46 PM, James Hester wrote:
>> Dear COMCIFS members,
>>
>> There has been little discussion on the two namespace proposals linked
>> in my original email in February (apologies for the delay), which
>> leads me to conclude that they are acceptable.  For archival purposes,
>> I have included the full text of the two proposals in this email, and
>> I now request the COMCIFS voting members to formally indicate their
>> agreement.  In the case of a disagreement, please note that
>> disagreement briefly in your reply and then follow up the issue in the
>> namespace forum.  In accordance with COMCIFS practice, if more than 6
>> weeks pass from today's date with no reply, agreement will be assumed,
>> although explicit and rapid assent is always preferable.
>>
>> Note that the second namespace proposal below differs slightly from
>> the one originally linked: I have added a sentence clarifying the
>> meaning of 'IUCr domain' in the preamble and clarified the meaning of
>> 'adopting' a third party dictionary.
>>
>> James.
>> =========================
>> http://forums.iucr.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=319
>>
>> Proposal for a new dataname to support a CIF namespace mechanism
>>
>> Background
>>
>> We wish to build some sort of namespace mechanism into CIF so that
> [...]

John Westbrook, Ph.D.
RCSB, Protein Data Bank
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
174 Frelinghuysen Rd
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8087
e-mail: jwest@rcsb.rutgers.edu
Ph: (848) 445-4290 Fax: (732) 445-4320