Re: magCIF - policy advice requested

Matthew, perhaps you can give us some idea as to how DDL1 tools are integrated into the workflow there at the CCDC, and what you stand to lose when presented with a CIF file containing core CIF + magCIF datanames?  As I see it, given that identical DDL1 datanames will continue to be used in magCIF files, surely the only potential loss is a 'loss' of the ability to validate the new magCIF tags at DDL1 level (i.e. are they in the correct loop with correct datatype and are essential datanames present).  I put 'loss' in inverted commas, because these tags are not validated now anyway (cause they don't exist!).

Or perhaps your comment was directed more towards CIF2 format?

James.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Matthew Towler <towler@ccdc.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

I feel it would be unfortunate to conflate the production of a new dictionary (magCIF) with adoption of a new data standard (DDLm).  The former can quickly provide useful features for storage of additional data and only requires the agreement of those with an interest in magCIF.  The latter will be a much longer process requiring a much wider array of stakeholders to make a commitment and donate resources, which would in my opinion significantly delay the adoption of magCIF.  DDL1 has a huge advantage in already being supported, and more importantly well understood and actively used, by the wider community, so to me it seems the ideal choice for any new dictionary.

> While magCIF authors will no doubt be cognisant of the lack of initial CIF2 support in the wider community,
> and therefore provide alternate datanames, this is an opportunity to:

Opinions stated are entirely my own, and are not those of my employer, the CCDC.

Matthew