Our Zenodo community: update to policy for yourinformation/consideration

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIFStandard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Our Zenodo community: update to policy for yourinformation/consideration
  • From: James H <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:47:57 +1000
Dear COMCIFS,

A while back a "community" on Zenodo was established as a place to collect Zenodo deposits related to COMCIFS activity.  A "community" is essentially just a list of items in Zenodo that are related by some common theme. One particular reason for us to create this space on Zenodo at the time was to attach a DOI to specific versions of CIF dictionaries while we resolved the way in which the IUCr would mint such DOIs. The link to the community is https://zenodo.org/communities/comcifs .

Recently, a software project making significant use of powder CIF files was proposed as a candidate for inclusion in the COMCIFS "community". Although our original intention was to include standards only (and they may well migrate to the IUCr at some point), it might indeed be worthwhile making this space a place to list any Zenodo-deposited high-quality software or other digital artifacts that make serious use of CIF standards. This would also have the constructive effects of (i) encouraging software authors to create a DOI for their software by depositing it on Zenodo (ii) helping us to find out where and how CIF is being used. I have therefore drafted an updated version of the community description and curation policy below, which I present for your feedback.

If there are no objections to this, I will advise our cif-developers of the option to have any of their Zenodo-deposited software listed there.

best wishes,
James.

===
Description

This community includes digital items (e.g. dictionaries and standards documents) created and maintained by the International Union of Crystallography Committee for the Maintenance of the CIF standard, and high-quality software artifacts that demonstrate the use of these standards.

Curation policy

Standards documents appearing here will have been approved by COMCIFS or its subcommittees. Software artifacts should meet the guidelines of the Journal of Open Source Software (see https://joss.readthedocs.io/en/latest/review_criteria.html), be associated with a publication, and make extensive use of COMCIFS standards.
===