Is anybody willing to review pull requests for the core dictionary onGithub?

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group<coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Is anybody willing to review pull requests for the core dictionary onGithub?
  • From: James H via coreDMG <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 12:33:25 +1000
  • Cc: James H <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
Dear Core DMG,

As some of you may be aware, we maintain a version of the core CIF dictionary on Github at https://github.com/COMCIFS/cif_core.  Changes to the dictionary are usually made on Github before being fed to the IUCr (that last step is still being ironed out). While it is possible for changes to be directly made to the dictionary by an owner of the repository, a more robust approach is for any proposed changes to be reviewed. The changes to be made are presented as a "pull request" showing the before and after differences. If you click on the above link, you can see a link to "pull requests" and you can see outstanding pull requests and around 56 closed ones if you click on the link. Note that you can comment on the pull request and/or approve it.

If any of you are familiar with working on Github, or are interested in taking part, please let me know and I'll add you to the list of people able to review changes. You will need a way to log in to Github.

Note that a series of automated checks are run on the proposed changes, so that any syntax errors or DDLm violations are picked up automatically.  The review is therefore more focused on possible errors in plain text definitions.

best wishes,
James Hester (acting core DMG chair).