Re: Suggestions for microsymposium topics for IUCr 2023

Dear COMCIFS and core DMG
There seem to have been no responses to my previous email, which Iwill take as agreement that the proposed MS topic is worth putting upat the program committee.
Our next task is to nominate a delegate to attend the IPC. The IPC areconcerned about regional and gender diversity, so please bear this inmind when thinking of delegates, as well as the fact that the nomineeshould not have attended the IPC for the Prague IUCr meeting.
Please send me (privately) any nominations for virtual (or in person)attendance at the IPC as soon as possible. Obviously the nomineeshould have agreed to take the role, and be prepared to advocate forthe above topic, or whichever others this committee belatedly comes upwith.
I look forward to seeing the nominations roll in.
James.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 at 12:05, James H <jamesrhester@gmail.com> wrote:>> Dear COMCIFS and core DMG,>> (Apologies for the cross-posting, I wanted to get as wide a coverage> as possible)>> COMCIFS has been invited to submit ideas for microsymposium topics and> keynote speakers at the IUCr 2023 meeting in Melbourne. This time> around we have also been granted a representative on the program> committee, who would participate either remotely or in person in> Melbourne, or maybe Prague, in April this year. I suggest turning our> minds to whom to nominate (doesn't have to be a member of the> committee) after we've discussed our favoured topics and potentially> coordinated with CommDat. The timeframe for this discussion is> unfortunately rather short given the IPC schedule, so I suggest we> allocate a week to discussion of potential topics and then see about> nominations. Note that I will not be nominating to be the IPC> delegate.>> Let's start the ball rolling by discussing possible MS topics. We did> not put forward anything of our own for the most recent congress in> Prague, so the time is ripe for some quality CIF discussion. As in> previous years, topics which overlap with other commissions and> committees have a better chance of proceeding, with CommDat being the> obvious potential co-proposer, but CIF being CIF our work is relevant> to most commissions.>> A topic I'd like to propose as a conversation starter is:>> =========> Integrating CIF into the new world of data standards>> Blurb: In recent years many scientific disciplines and organisations> have started putting serious resources into data standardisation.> These efforts increasingly overlap with areas for which CIF> dictionaries already exist, challenging us to find a way for> information contained in CIF archives and dictionaries to be> integrated into other standards efforts.>> Examples of talks that might appear in this symposium would include:> 1. Interoperating NeXus and CIF> 2. Managing CIF IP issues for CIF reuse> 3. How standards effort <insert name here> uses CIF> 4. Integrating CIF into the semantic web> =========>> Looking forward to hearing your ideas and feedback!>> all the best,> James.> --> T +61 (02) 9717 9907> F +61 (02) 9717 3145> M +61 (04) 0249 4148