Congratulations to Christian Riekl

  • Subject: Congratulations to Christian Riekl
  • From: "John D. Barnes" <john.barnes@nist.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 97 15:27:02 -0400
       SAS and Riekel Score Big in Latest Issue of Science

Those of you who have not yet seen the 29 August 1997 issue of Science,
the journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science,
should look for it in your local library. The theme of the issue is
"Frontiers in Materials Science" and the cover illustration features a
series of SAXS patterns illustrating microstructural transformations in
block copolymers under shear.

Our good friend Christian Riekel gets into the act because he is
frequently quoted in the celebratory news articles on third-generation
synchrotrons that appear as part of the introduction to the special
"Frontiers..." section. The people who put this together are particularly
intrigued by the possibilities of microfocus synchrotron beams, where
Christian and his group have been leaders in the field.

It is really nice to see others express appreciation for some of the
excitement of our field. Now if only that appreciation would translate
into more support from industry, government, and academia. :).
..

Dr. John D. Barnes                       email: john.barnes@nist.gov
NIST Polymer Structure and Mechanics Grp Voice: 301-975-6786
Bldg 224, Rm A209                        FAX: 301-975-4977
NIST, Gaithersburg, MD 20899             URL: http://www.nist.gov/sas
                               or http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~jdbarnes