Neutron Scattering at the HFIR

  • Subject: Neutron Scattering at the HFIR
  • From: Bryan Chakoumakos <kou@ornl.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 09:34:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc: robertojb@ornl.gov
  • Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ornl.gov

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Interested researchers are invited to apply for time on the neutron beam instruments at the High Flux Isotope Reactor at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (http://www.ornl.gov/). Proposals are accepted at any time and are reviewed year-round. Approved experiments are usually scheduled within 90 days. Beam time is available at no cost for non-proprietary use.

Application procedures and detailed facility descriptions are found on our Web site http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
If possible, please submit your proposals by e-mail. Various formats of our proposal form can be retrieved from our Web site.

Available instruments are triple-axis spectrometers, high-resolution powder diffractometer, four-circle single-crystal diffractometer, SANS, reflectometer, double-crystal USANS, a flat-cone geometry PSD diffractometer ( WAND)*, residual stress diffractometer**.

The 30 m SANS will be "shortened" in the next 1-2 months to make space for the cold guide hall, but it should be available again in the Fall. We will not have the full 30/35m distance (for high resolution studies) until the cold source installation is completed. However, we should be able to do "medium resolution" experiments (up to around 100-150 A) in the near future.

Sample environments include: Temperatures = 1.5K to 1900K, Pressures up to 3 GPa, Magnetic fields up to 7 T, and liquid shear cells.

*The WAND has been recently upgraded with a new, state-of-the-art, multi-wire, gas-filled, detector.

**Proposals for the residual stress diffractometer are handled by the High Temperature Materials Laboratory of the Metals & Ceramics Division; see http://htm29.ms.ornl.gov/rsuc/index.html.
Neutron Scattering Section
Solid State Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory