Re: Survey of available CIF software and request for wish list

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Survey of available CIF software and request for wish list
  • From: Nick Spadaccini <nick@cs.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:41:21 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Brian McMahon wrote:

>   Interactive editor  Enforces correct syntax during          emacs cif.el
>                        on-screen editing                      (Lisp)

I have gone through the wish list and will post again when I have cleaned
up a number of things. For now, I spent the last two days writing the
"vim" equivalent of the cif.el above. Mine is star compliant and therefore
covers CIF.

I am happy to distribute this, but I want to check what you have above.
Does cif.el enforce correct syntax? Most of these things are lexical, not
syntactic and therefore highlight matching tokens, but don't enforce any
syntactic structure. Even the authors of vim acknowledge that though they
talk of syntax like everyone else, they really mean lexical analysis.

cheers

Nick

Dr Nick Spadaccini
Department of Computer Science              voice: +(61 8) 9380 3452
University of Western Australia               fax: +(61 8) 9380 1089
Nedlands, Perth,  WA  6907                 email: nick@cs.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                        web: http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~nick