Membership

	The new terms of reference for Comcifs require that, following
each General Assembly, the IUCr Executive Committee appoint the
voting members of Comcifs for the following 3-year term based on the
recommendations received from the outgoing Comcifs.

	Currently we have eight voting members and a number of consultants
and observers.  Under the new regulation we are to have 'about six voting
members' and an unlimited number of observers, a category that will
include the current consultants,

	The voting membership is required to be knowledgeable in the area
of electronic manipulation of information and to be representative of the
various fields of crystallography.  It is appointed by the Executive
Committee on the recommendation of Comcifs.  The Executive Committee also
appoints the chair and secretary.

	Observers are appointed by the chair of Comcifs and, like voting
members, they receive all Comcifs mailings and are free to contribute to
any Comcifs discussion, but they do not vote.  Some observers will be
representatives of Union Commissions or other organisations, some will be
developing new dictionaries, other observers will be appointed as
individuals because of their interest in Comcifs business.

	The main difference in practice between voting members and
observers is that voting members have a duty to review carefully any new
dictionaries that are brought to Comcifs for approval since we require all
voting members to register their vote before approval is given.  Observers
are free to comment on these dictionaries, but are not required to
review them.

	All the people who receive this message by email from the
comcifs-l discussion list belong to one of the three current categories of
membership (voting, consultant, observer).  I would like to know from each
of you if you are interested in continuing to serve with Comcifs for the
next three years, and if so, in what capacity - as a voting member or as
an observer.  I would also like to have any suggestions you (or anyone
else reading this memo) might have for new members in either category.
People who are currently not members may request to serve on Comcifs in
either category.

	The final list of recommendations for voting members will be put
together by the current voting members.  I would like to have this list
ready before we meet in Glasgow, since we will have more important things
to discuss there.

	Please let me know as soon as possible whether you wish to
continue to serve with Comcifs and in what capacity.  But remember that
the items sent to the comcifs-l list are posted on the web and are not
regarded as confidential.  You may, therefore, wish to send your reply to
my personal email address given below.

			David Brown
			Chair of Comcifs

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca