Software Development Subcommittee

	At the closed meeting of Comcifs held during the Glasgow Congress
of the IUCr it was decided to form a subcommittee to review what CIF
software was being written (or should be written) and to make
recommendations to Comcifs for action.

	There were two particular concerns.  One was the growing need for
a CIF editor to help people preparing CIFs for submission to journals or
databases.  The other was a concern to ensure that all new
crystallographic applications be able to read and write CIFs.

	The terms of reference of this subcommittee are:

'The purpose of the Software Development Subcommittee is to identify
applications whose development is needed to ensure the success of the CIF
project, and to recommend action that Comcifs should take to ensure
that such applications become available.'

	This charge is written in general terms, but at our meeting in
Glasgow we identified the need for a CIF editor as a major priority.  We
heard of two editors being developed by the Protein Databank and the
Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre, and we encouraged their authors to
work towards an editor that could be used as widely as possible.  This
subcommittee was asked to report to Comcifs on the status of the editor
project at an early date.

	The members of this subcommittee are:

		Herb Bernstein
		Paul Edgington
		John Westbrook

	We look forward to receiving their reports and recommendations.

David Brown
Comcifs Chair

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca