Re: Trade and Service Marks

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Sydney R Hall wrote:

> Brian: I think that registration of acronyms will become increasingly
> critical as we do more and more over the web, and therefore I support
> the registration of important names we use. The critical one is "CIF"
> and I think that the "STAR File" already has a level of protection
> from the IUCr patent... but perhaps it needs more.

This has come up in a previous discussion thread, but here goes ...

STAR File is a term (VERY) widely used in the travel industry, and
probably pre-dates any notion of a STAR File ala SR Hall. You may have
great difficulty registering or TM-ing this name.

cheers

Nick

A cursory search for the acronym DDL on web pages results in 81,000 hits.
A query for DDL but not CIF gives 79,000 hits. Again the prospect of
registration and trademarking may be difficult.

Dr Nick Spadaccini
Department of Computer Science              voice: +(61 8) 9380 3452
University of Western Australia               fax: +(61 8) 9380 1089
Nedlands, Perth,  WA  6907                 email: nick@cs.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                        web: http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~nick