Re: Revised statement of policy on CIF

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Revised statement of policy on CIF
  • From: "Brian H. Toby" <brian.toby@nist.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:45:58 +0100 (BST)
I very much like this revised document. It comes across as a positive
statement of what people can do with CIF as opposed to the "Thou shall
not" style that I saw in the previous version.

I am unsure concerning the point, "Software claiming to READ files
written in the CIF standard should be able to extract the relevant data
from any file conformant to the CIF syntax." Someday I would like to
create some pdCIF read filters. I doubt that my code would tolerate DDL2
files. Would I then be prohibited using CIF to describe these filter
routines? On the other hand, I do not have any suggestions to improve
this to allow the wiggle room I want without leaving a loop hole large
enough for a truck. Anyone have any ideas?

Beyond this one question, I commend Brian, Syd, Herbert, & David on a
job very well done.

Brian T.

Brian H. Toby, Ph.D.                    Leader, Crystallography Team
Brian.Toby@NIST.gov      NIST Center for Neutron Research, Stop 8562
voice: 301-975-4297     National Institute of Standards & Technology
FAX: 301-921-9847                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8562