Re: CIF line limits

> Now VAXes! Those I would have guessed were dead and gone .... I'm wrong
> yet again!

Not wanting to appear too antiquated... We do have a Linux/VME system
next to the diffractometer and ready for testing. I hope to replace the
VAX/CAMAC system by the end of the year, but the VAX software has been
developed over 2 decades and it will probably take another year before
the Linux software can control all the various hardware that the VAX
does now.

On the subject of CIF line limits -- to me there is a quandry. If there
is a mechanism by which >80 char lines can be converted so that files
are then compliant with the current standard, is there really a need to
change the standard? Is this a line continuation problem better handled
with Brian's suggestion?

Brian H. Toby, Ph.D.                    Leader, Crystallography Team
Brian.Toby@NIST.gov      NIST Center for Neutron Research, Stop 8562
voice: 301-975-4297     National Institute of Standards & Technology
FAX: 301-921-9847                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8562
                http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/xtal