imgCIF/CBF approved

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: imgCIF/CBF approved
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:29:30 GMT
Dear Colleagues

Following recommendation by the Dictionary Review Committee, the voting
members of COMCIFS have unanimously approved the imgCIF dictionary of data
names required by the Crystallographic Binary File (CBF) image
representation project. imgCIF/CBF is an initiative to extend the IUCr
CIF concept to cover efficient storage of 2-D area detector data and other
large datasets. The Crystallographic Binary File resembles the structure of
CIF but allows the transport of binary data and therefore is not a STAR
File; however, its functionality adheres as closely as possible to that
of STAR Files.

The imgCIF/CBF index page on the IUCr web site
(http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/imgcif/index.html) has links to the draft
imgCIF dictionary and to other web pages describing the CBF format
definition, a software library and other supporting materials from the
imgCIF/CBF project.

The project leader has for some time been Herbert Bernstein, who took over
from Andy Hammersley's pioneering work. The project has benefited from the
efforts of a number of developers, many of them attendees at the workshop
organised at Brookhaven by Bob Sweet in October 1997.

When I have discussed with Herbert any minor editorial modifications that
might be needed at this stage, a URL will be posted for the official release
version.  I hope that we can do this in the very near future.

Regards
Brian