msCIF dictionary approved

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: msCIF dictionary approved
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:08:38 +0100 (BST)
Dear Colleagues

Following recommendation by the Dictionary Review Committee, the voting
members of COMCIFS have unanimously approved the msCIF dictionary of data
names for the description of modulated incommensurate structures.

The msCIF index page on the IUCr web site
(http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/ms/index.html)
has links to the draft msCIF dictionary, example files, and to the Checklist
for the Description of Incommensurate Modulated Crystal Structures published
in 1997 by the Commission on Aperiodic Crystals, which provided much important
background and preparation for this dictionary.

The msCIF project has been directed since 1994 by Gotzon Madariaga of the
University of Bilbao, who has contributed a great deal to COMCIFS discussions
over the last many years. The dictionary itself has been substantially
revised on a number of occasions, and has benefited from implementation in
versions of the JANA software. I congratulate Gotzon on all the hard work
that he has put into this project, and am delighted to see the stable of
official dictionaries increase in number again.

When I have discussed with Gotzon any editorial modifications that
might be needed at this stage, especially with regard to ensuring close
conformance to the symmetry dictionary which is also close to receiving
approval, a URL will be posted for the official release version.  I hope
that we can do this in the very near future.

Regards
Brian