symCIF dictionary released

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: symCIF dictionary released
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 15:05:29 GMT
Dear Colleagues

Following approval of the dictionary of symmetry data names by the COMCIFS
Dictionary Review Committee and subsequent approval subject to clarifications
and revisions requested by COMCIFS, I have today posted version 1.0 of
cif_sym.dic on the web at http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/sym/index.html
(or by ftp from ftp://ftp.iucr.org/pub/cif_sym_1.0.dic).

The data names in this dictionary give a more detailed description of
aspects of symmetry than those in the original core dictionary, and will be
recommended for use in future applications. To facilitate incorporation into
small-molecule data files, the working group responsible for this dictionary
will also generate a DDL1 representation of some or all of the included data
names.

If you have time to look quickly through this version for any errors or
inaccuracies that I have overlooked (or introduced) in my editing I should
be very grateful. To give time for this last informal review I shall not
make a general announcement until later in this coming week.

I wish to congratulate David Brown, Mois Aroyo, Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve,
Vojtech Kopsky, Danny Litvin, Uri Shmueli, Ad Thiers, Gotzon Madariaga, Hans
Wondratschek and the other contributors to the discussions of the symcif
working group for their achievement in assembling this dictionary.

Regards
Brian McMahon                                             tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                          fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography                  e-mail:  bm@iucr.ac.uk
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England                         bm@iucr.org