COMCIFS open meeting a Florence

Dear COMCIFS Colleagues,

    I have arranged for an open meeting of COMCIFS at the IUCr Congress
in Florence and it is now time to arrange the program and invite the
speakers.  To get the ball rolling I offer below my suggestions for
topics.  We have a two hour slot which would leave 20 to 30 minutes per
lecture according to my proposal.

    I would like your comments.  Can you let me know if this is a
reasonable program, or are there are more urgent topics we should
address?  What should be added or what can be deleted?  I would also
welcome suggestions for speakers on these topics.  Remember that if you
'Reply' to this message, your email will appear on the COMCIFS web page
where anyone can seen it.  Confidential messages should be sent to to me
at idbrown@mcmaster.ca.  My goal is to have the speakers lined up by the
end of September.

David Brown
Chair of COMCIFS

Suggested program for the COMCIFS open meeting at Florence
2005 Aug 26,  1200 - 1400

Title:
------
How can we avoid Data Frustration?
      or (subtitle)
Creating a Seamless Interface between the Disciplines

Topics:
-------
1. An Introduction to Data Languages
       CIF and XML: Grammar and Dictionaries,
       Importance of common definitions

2. Searching Across Databases
       Importance of common definitions

3. Taming the Data Generators: Synchrotrons and Neutrons
       (Perhaps two short papers)

4. High Throughput
       Interoperability of Biological Databases

5. Interfacing with Chemistry
       CML and other chemical approaches

--
Dr. I.D.Brown, Professor Emeritus,