Re: Accent escape sequences

Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
> Dear Brian,
>
>   While it may look cumbersome, I would highly recommend
> use of MIME headers in a manner consistent with
> imgCIF, rather than an array of more magic numbers.
> I just had to add dome proposed new information to
> the MIME headers for imgCIF to provide hooks for use
> by XDS and it proved rather easy to had to the
> exisiting framework in CBFlib, while more magic
> numbers would require a new and different code
> structure.
I assume that we can use MIME headers, where the only required header is
"Content-Type:", right? The advantage of MIME headers is that one could
include Character-Encoding for text that uses international character sets.

>   Coding convenience aside, I would strongly
> suggest support of XML, XHTML, HTML conventions,
> since they are well documented and explicit
> support for TeX, since it is essential to
> the publication process.  I do reviews for
> Math Reviews ans they have nice compromises
> on handling snippets of TeX for reviews.
> You may wish to consult with them on good
> externals.  Their system works.
I agree that HTML conventions are good where more complex formatting is
required, but I also like the idea of an archival format that contains
code sequences that can be read reasonably well in the raw form. That's
why I think the current sequences for 'CIF-format' text are reasonable
to keep. It probably depends whether the text is targeted to part of a
publication.

>   I hope we can avoid RTF -- it is lots and
> lots of undocumented gotchas.  I have to use
> it for old style RasMol windows help
> files, and there is a long learning curve
> for my students.
Agreed -- RTF is ill-defined, as well as unreadable in plain form.

>   In any case, I think this would be a
> very good subject to discuss.  Will people
> be at ACA 2007 or BSR 2007?
I plan to be at the ACA meeting.

Joe

Reply to: [list | sender only]