IUCr CIF website upgrade

Dear cif-developers and comcifs folk

The migration of content concerning the CIF project to the new IUCr
content management system is almost complete. The new site is already
visible at http://www.iucr.org/resources/cif but will become more
obvious to visitors when I link it into the top-level site menu on
Monday. At the same time I shall switch off the redirects to the old
material on ww1.iucr.org. It's likely that this will result initially in
some broken links; I'd appreciate being made aware of any as soon as
possible, so that I can repair them.

What I would particularly like the cif-developers subscribers to do is
review the software resource pages starting at
  http://www.iucr.org/resources/cif/software

Please let me know of any useful packages or applications you know of
that aren't listed on this page, and suggest any reclassifications
that you think might be useful. For the most part I haven't included
general crystallographic software packages except where these contain
utilities specifically designed to generate, convert or visualise CIF;
but I'm very happy to add more upon request.

A large subset of the packages referenced are also mirrored on the IUCr
server as an extension of the software collection originally distributed
with the International Tables Volume G CD-ROM. If you provided software
for that purpose, please review the relevant pages to check that the
latest version has been mirrored, and that the software redistribution
licences are still appropriate.

Once any initial teething troubles have been sorted out on the "new" site, I
shall be very happy to hear suggestions for further developments of the
IUCr CIF web pages. It has always seemed to me essential that the IUCr
maintain this as an authoritative and useful resource.

Best wishes
Brian McMahon                                       tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                    fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography            e-mail:  bm@iucr.org
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England

Reply to: [list | sender only]