Re: Material for Annual Report to the Executive

Dear James,

   Here are a few items.  Let me know if you need more detail

   1.  imgCIF:  The imgCIF dictionary and Crystallographic Binary Format
(CBF) format based on that dictionary have seen increasing use in
2008-2009.  The Pilatus 6m pixel array detector for Dectris produces
images in a mini-CBF format, and a conversion utitlity is available for
expansion to full CBF format.  ADSC has provided full support for writing
CBF format output for its detectors, and Rayonix and Rigaku have started
serious efforts on CBF support for their detectors to conform to the DLS
procurement standards.  P. Chang of DLS has produced software to allow use
of the format for Java-based applications. In collaboratation with K.
Dederichs, H. J. Bernstein has enhanced the previous Fortran support to
now cover all aspects of the format. Added to the extisting C/C++ support
from P. Ellis and H. J. Bernstein, and the Python support from J. Wright
of ESRF, the format is now supported for the major programming languages
used in handling diffraction images. Both mosflm and adxv are able to
accept CBF images.

   2.  Interoperability between imgCIF and NeXus.  Software to convert from
CBF to NeXus was written by H. J. Bernstein in 2007-2008.  P. Chang of DLS
has now enhanced that software.

   3.  DDLm support.  E. Zlateva, a student of H. J. Bernstein at Dowling
College, is incorporating J. Hester's dRel parser into CBFlib to complete
DDLm support in CFBlib and will report on that work at ACA 2009 in
Toronto.

   Regards,
     Herbert

P.S.  Do you want to say anything about the archiving discussions on the
CCP4 list?