Re: CIF 2.0 syntax proposal for retaining backwards CIF 1.xcompatibility. .

I have not been on COMCIFS for many years, but as long as I get the e-mails, I am not going to withhold my 2 ($0.02 without unicode).

Managing a database or codebase is a tough enough task without the problems of people creating new new incompatible formats. If it is really going to make CIF2 better to break the old format, then I reluctantly will ceed to that, but the idea of of creating a bridging format (CIF1.2) that permits simple interconversion with CIF2 is going to save a lot of problems and may even encourage the eventual adoption of CIF2. I strongly encourage that.

Brian