Re: Fwd: COMCIFS minutes

John

The minutes in section 7. do not include the condition -  *subject to the aforementioned updates to DDLm being implemented*.
only the statement ..

... It was agreed that any new dictionary submitted for COMCIFS approval should have a canonical DDLm version. This would not
preclude development of a dictionary using DDL1, but the reference version upon acceptance would be DDLm ..

If this condition is added then I do not have a problem with the statement although I would prefer that it also include
a statement that owing to the intended semantic equivalence of dictionary metadata this would statement would not
represent an impediment to ongoing DDL2 dictionary developments by wwPDB.

Btw.  DDL2 has had methods from its initial release that we use internally within PDB.

On 8/29/14, 9:50 AM, Bollinger, John C wrote:
> As the minutes show, we agreed to ensure that DDLm had at least the same representational capability of DDL2, which it currently does not.  We did not discuss modifying DDL2, and although we could indeed add methods to DDL2, but doing so is unnecessary, and I am inclined to avoid it.
>
> My recollection is that we did agree to exactly what the minutes say, *subject to the aforementioned updates to DDLm being implemented*.  Then there will be one canonical representation for (future) dictionaries, with the ability to automatically create derived dictionary documents in either DDL1 or (especially) DDL2 formalism.
>

> John

John Westbrook, Ph.D.
RCSB, Protein Data Bank