DDLm cif_core for your approval

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIF Standard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: DDLm cif_core for your approval
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 17:10:21 +1000
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113;h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;bh=M64rH5lDw7UJW8bQFTPxtv0tkGwHojRXFIVzmMghL64=;b=NhjXqr2tgPKDe2Q7fiVfSJ5SY7mJmbjAXx+zb9qPtHLRSl3q+oD9rTAje+1DPLhZaH8BCXmra9BE7esa/hc4W8QB+ypMw0tpv0f53/spj888x8knAcTsk7nG+WmqW19adEHynBkLWqmRzGTJHkGjkJf+LKpFBs3ZGPpEdj/y7ZXNBvps2KlXxO4RSy7Y1PgnUPl410E6+nILVtKXXyR07tlW6MypFUoH/i/rnangSk5X7haXDRhg8x3NmlRKKoTY3NMZlmI7MhcXue6YAZh2ShAmdwFxJAT22JLunh84KF+4n0Goj7ksWaS5pei3jzfRTc7/f9drW9HR1wJjHaRm1w==
Dear COMCIFS,

At the Montreal IUCr meeting we agreed that all DDL1 dictionaries would be rewritten using DDLm. The first of these dictionaries to reach COMCIFS is the DDLm form of the core CIF dictionary.  As it is too large to attach to this email, please instead refer to the following links:

Canonical form: https://github.com/COMCIFS/cif_core/blob/cif2-conversion/cif_core.dic
Simplified HTML form suitable for browsing: http://comcifs.github.io/cif_core.dic.html

This dictionary has been reviewed by the core DMG.

While almost all the datanames in this dictionary have direct equivalents in the DDL1 dictionary, I draw your attention to the new _audit.schema dataname (http://comcifs.github.io/cif_core.dic.html#_audit_schema). The rationale behind this dataname and the accompanying mechanism for (finally) being able to loop arbitrary datanames is discussed in the proposal found at

As per my recent email, three weeks are allocated for review of this dictionary, following which we should consider the new magnetic CIF dictionary.

James.