[ddlm-group] Restricting identifiers to integers: a good idea?

Hello DDLm experts,

This time I have a relational model question.

One of our dictionary author groups would like to restrict the key data name of a category (an opaque identifier) to positive integers (instead of arbitrary text), to simplify input and storage. I have commented that this risks the integer acquiring some sort of meaning, such as specifying that the items in the category are arranged in a particular sequence. However, I think some of you have more experience in why integer identifiers may or may not be a good idea. Can any of you comment on the value of restricting/not restricting the form of an identifier?

Note this is a new dictionary so I'm not talking about changing an existing data name.

thanks,
James.