Re: [ddlm-group] Restricting identifiers to integers: a good idea?

  • To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Restricting identifiers to integers: a good idea?
  • From: "Bollinger, John C" <John.Bollinger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 15:14:43 +0000

There is a popular school of thought in DB design that every entity’s primary key should be a single-column surrogate key. Such a key is typically assigned a numeric data type for various practical reasons, such as storage size and key generation strategy.  The proposal seems to align with that practice, but I am not convinced that the practice is necessarily a good strategy for data dictionaries.

Although we do have some surrogate keys in our dictionaries (mmCIF’s _symmetry_equiv.id, for example), we tend to use natural keys instead.  Where a suitable natural key exists, this both simplifies our dictionaries and makes CIF instance documents simpler and easier for humans to read.  Also, continuing with _symmetry_equiv.id as an example, I observe that its definition explicitly states that it is NOT numeric.  I think is typical of our historic practice for such keys.

I am also skeptical of the proposal’s stated objective of simplifying input and storage, as this seems to fall outside the purpose of a CIF dictionary.  A CIF dictionary’s primary purpose is to define data semantics, and any consideration of its suitability as a storage model is secondary, at best, notwithstanding the relational characteristics of DDL2 and DDLm.

Moreover, it is not evident to me how input or storage would in fact be simplified without attributing some kind of additional significance to the key values, which would turn them into natural keys whose specific significance should be defined.  The dictionary authors might want to consider, for example, whether their input and storage plans would be foiled by key sets that were not contiguous, did not start at 0 or 1, included large gaps between keys, or included very large numbers.  I’m also suspicious that any perceived input advantages assume restrictions on the lexical form in which keys would be expressed.  For example, the dictionary authors should consider whether integers expressed in scientific notation (e.g. 0.10e+01 or 1e+00) or in other forms besides straight decimal digit sequences would defeat their goals.

Best regards,

John

--

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D., RHCSA