Re: COMCIFS Terms of Reference

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIF Standard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: COMCIFS Terms of Reference
  • From: David Brown <idbrown@mcmaster.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:38:09 -0400
Title:
Ralf wrote
4. To ensure that adequate current documentation of the CIF standard is
available to potential users in both printed and machine-readable forms.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do we still need this? In my mind machine-readable forms are fully sufficient;
the time it takes to provide printed forms could be invested somewhere else.

The item would be even further improved if we deleted '
in both printed and machine-readable forms'.  I agree that we no longer need to require a printed form if this is not needed; it should be sufficient to require that documentation be made available to users, leaving open the decision as to what is the appropriate format.

David Brown
begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773