Result of CIF2 vote

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIF Standard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Result of CIF2 vote
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:34:29 +1100
Dear COMCIFS members and advisers:

At the end of the 6-week voting period, the CIF2 draft has been
approved 4 votes in favour, one against and one abstention.

While we can choose to ignore the points raised by Ralf in his
dissenting vote, I think it would be worthwhile revisiting eliding in
triple-quoted strings.  Such a discussion is best handled in the DDLm
group, so if this aspect of the standard interests any of you who are
not currently enrolled in the DDLm-group, I suggest that you contact
Brian MacMahon to be subscribed.

I believe the DDLm group will be able to find a solution.  If we are
unable to agree, then the standard as currently approved will be the
final version.  If we do find a solution, then an amendment to Change
7 will once again be presented to this forum for a final vote.  I
would hope that we can produce an amendment by the end of January at
the latest.

James Hester.