new method

Dear Colleagues:

I am posting  this message to get your assistance or advice. I would love
to continue the study of  plasma lipoproteins by small-angle X-ray scattering
( SAXS )and complete the development of new noninvasive screening
method to detect a coronary atherosclerosis  in its earliest stages.

During the last several years I have been researching on the plasma
lipoproteins from human blood by SAXS. As a result, the rapid (within 1 h)
technique to determine the fraction distribution of plasma lipoproteins has
been developed. A new effective compound like NaBr for "X-ray visualizing"
the lipid cores of lipoprotein particles into the complex lipid-protein mixture
of human plasma has been found. In contrast to conventional procedures for
quantitative determination of plasma lipoprotein fractions, the new method
allows one to "fractionate" the total plasma lipoproteins into three major
classes such as high density, low density, and very low density lipoproteins
without a preliminary separation of human plasma into its constituents. The
findings demonstrate the diagnostic application  of SAXS in atherosclerosis.

At the present time I am living in the United States and looking for the
opportunities for applying SAXS as the analytical instrument for coronary
atherosclerosis susceptibility express-diagnosis (see attachment).

I hope my proposal will find your interest. I am looking forward to receiving
your advice and assistance. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Vladimir Vavilin, Ph.D.

108 Enchanted Hills Rd., Apt.104                Phone: 410-581-1023
Owings Mills, MD 21117                            E-mail: viv@erols.com

NEW METHOD FOR DETECTING A HUMAN SUSCEPTIBILITY
TO ATHEROSCLEROSIS

       Coronary heart disease is the most frequent cause of death in men over
age 35 and women over age 65 in the United States. For example, in 1987
estimated 514,000 Americans were killed by this disease and over  700,000
others were admitted to hospitals because of heart attacks.
       Coronary heart disease results from the gradual development of
atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Therefore, it is very important
to predict the human susceptibility to coronary atherosclerosis in its earliest
stages.
       High density lipoproteins (HDL) and low density lipoproteins (LDL)
fulfilling  central functions in   the cholesterol transport process by the blood
circulation are known to play the key roles in the atherosclerotic pathogenesis.
It is also known that high concentrations of LDL as well as low concentrations
of HDL in the human bloodstream are associated with the accelerated
progression of the coronary atherosclerosis. Hence it follows an important
conclusion that it is necessary to measure the absolute concentrations of these
two major lipoprotein classes for diagnosing the susceptibility to
atherosclerosis.
       In this connection new method to diagnose the susceptibility to
atherosclerosis in humans have been developed. The devised method is
based on the analysis of experimental data obtained by means of small-angle
X-ray scattering technique which enables one to determine a particle size
distribution of lipid cores of major plasma lipoproteins (HDL, LDL and
very low density lipoproteins) and  evaluated an index of susceptibility to
atherosclerosis (LDL/HDL ratio).
       This method has the considerable advantages in comparison with the
conventional procedures for the quantitative determination of the human
plasma lipoprotein fractions. It has following advantages: just several drops
(0.1mL) of a human plasma need for one analysis that lasts only 60 min
and it does not demand a preliminary separation of a human  plasma into
its constituents. The latter it is very important because the human plasma
lipoproteins are labile structures and therefore the isolated lipoproteins
can be differed from the native lipoproteins after separation and storage
procedures.
       In conclusion one should note that the proposed method allows one
to create quite new analytical instrument for early express-diagnosis of the
human susceptibility to coronary atherosclerosis and carry on a mass health
screening of the American people for detecting the individuals with high
risk of coronary heart disease.