New dictionary: multiblock CIF

Dear COMCIFS, core CIF DMG and cif-developers:

Apologies for cross-posting, but I think this is relevant to you all.

We have decided to create a new dictionary that contains the additional definitions required when describing data that are distributed over more than one data block. This allows core CIF to remain free of the many "boilerplate" definitions that are required. A draft first release of this multiblock dictionary is available at https://github.com/COMCIFS/MultiBlock_Dictionary/blob/rc-1.0.0/multi_block_core.dic for your review. This first release of the dictionary contains only definitions that are already present in the latest release of the core dictionary; once the present dictionary is approved they will be removed from the core dictionary.

The technical details of describing multi-block data with CIF dictionaries are available in section 3.1.4 of our IUCr2023 workshop handout at https://www.iucr.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/157011/handout.pdf, or a brief summary is in the README of the above repository.

Please feel free to provide feedback either via reply to this message or raising issues in the Github repository linked above. The review period is one month.

best wishes,
James.