Re: Assigning CC-BY-4.0 licence to CIF dictionaries

Thank you for your message James.

The choice of CC0 for wwPDB data, etc. was driven in large part by strong recommendations from the leadership of the European. Informatics Institute (EBI).

It was clear to me that their preference was for all data resources associated with EBI to adopt CC0.

I have no objections to CC-BY-4.0 for CIF.

As a practical matter, I believe that the terms of CC-BY-4.0 are unenforceable, and this license is in effect equivalent to CC-0.

Happy to discuss further in a zoom call as needed.

Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of IUCr,  COMCIFS, and data standards for crystallography.

Be safe and be successful Stephen

Stephen K. Burley, M.D., D.Phil.
University Professor and Henry Rutgers Chair

V (Morse Code: …*)
Victory Against Fascism