Oviedo, Spain- Crystallographic Computing School (Tuesday 16th August to Monday 22nd August 2011)
Newly extended registration deadline : July 31st, 2011
- The School is intended for senior postgraduates, postdocs and above with a knowledge of crystallography who may want to become involved in software development, but lack experience in this. It is not intended to teach crystallography to computationally literate students, nor is it expected to teach the basics of programming.
- It is assumed that students on the course will have (at least) scanned through a copy of one or more of the following books, depending on their background;
- D. Blow, Outline of Crystallography for Biologists, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2002.
- W. Clegg, A.J. Blake, J.M. Cole, J.S.O. Evans, P. Main, S. Parsons & D.J. Watkin, Crystal Structure Analysis: Principles and Practice (2nd Edition), ed. W. Clegg et al, IUCr & Oxford Science Publications, Oxford, 2009.
- Vitalij Pecharsky and Peter Zavalij, Fundamentals of Powder Diffraction and Structural Characterization of Materials, 2nd ed., Springer, 2009, ISBN: 978-0-387-09578-3.
- C. Giacovazzo, H.L. Monaco, D. Viterbo, F. Scordari, G. Gilli, G. Zanotti & M. Catti, Fundamentals of Crystallography (2nd Edition), ed. C. Giacovazzo, IUCr & Oxford Science Publications, Oxford, 2002.
(especially those chapters on "Symmetry in Crystals" and "Crystallographic Computing").
- Students should have some programming skills such as the ability to write a runnable non-trivial program in a language like Python, Java or C++ (or FORTRAN or C) (with calls to subroutines or functions or standard templates).
- Participants are expected to bring their own laptop computer on which 'school tutorial software' can be installed.
Thanks to the generosity of current conference sponsors, the following registrations costs apply:
- 545 euros which includes the cost of single room accommodation at Ovida Centro Intergeneracional, all meals and the social dinner (single rooms are limited and available on a first come first served basis).
- 495 euros which includes the cost of share accommodation (double occupancy rooms) at Ovida Centro Intergeneraciona, all meals and the social dinner. Please indicate in the registration form the name of the person you would like to share the room with and/or your gender.
- 295 euros for registrants taking external hotel accommodation. Includes cost of lunches and dinners and the social dinner.
- 175 euros for Accompanying Person taking Outside Accomodation. Includes evening meals at Ovida Centro Intergeneracional and the social dinner.
For any special inquiry on accommodation (e.g. extra night needed, accompanying persons wanting to stay at the Ovida Centro Intergeneracional etc), please contact the local organizers.
Registration should be made by completing the on-line registration form.
BursariesWe hope to have a limited number of bursaries available to help cover the costs of attendance. All students at the School who are awarded a bursary will be required to present a poster at the School, and will be expected to use the double room accommodation.
Bursary application deadline : June 3rd, 2011
These pages are maintained by the Commission Last updated: 15 Oct 2021